This past weekend, many of us living in Northern Ontario were hit with some pretty awful weather. Like most, I was house bound this weekend and was going a little stir crazy. A few weeks back I found some chairs that I decided to reupholster and bring back to life, and what better weekend to do it than this past weekend?
There are a few things that I would do differently next time, but for the most part everything has gone pretty smoothly thus far. My first step was to take all of the chairs (this is one thing that I don’t think I would do if I do this project again). The reason I decided to take it apart is because I found some chairs needed a little fine tuning. Most people would have just left it and tightened them as is, but since it was my first time I wanted to make sure I did it properly. I sanded each piece of wood so that my paint would stick better when I get to that part.
I then did some research of where to find decently priced foam, you would be surprised at how expensive it can be. Walmart was actually a lot more expensive than I would have thought. The only foam that they had was too big for one chair, and too small for two chairs. I live close to Hamilton, so I did a quick search to see if there was somewhere close by that I could find some foam and sure enough I came across a great little spot on Ottawa Street. The gentlemen working at the store cut all of the foam for me and measured it to size of my chairs. He made my work much easier by doing so.
Next step was to find the perfect material. I knew that I wanted to have my chairs painted a colour that can be easily matched because if the chairs don’t end up working for us in our home, they would be much easier to sell. I chose a light grey as the base for my chairs. I then found the material at Fabricland on Ottawa Street in Hamilton. I am convinced that when I am done the chairs will look fabulous.
I tested out reupholstering one of the chairs last night and it turned out really well. I have to admit that I am very pleased as it looks much better as a cushion than I thought that it would. I can not wait to see the final product. I still have to paint the chairs and reassemble them, but am very excited to share what the final product looks like as well as any other findings or things that I would do differently along the way.
Thanks for reading. If you have any questions or want to know more about my experience (do’s and don’ts) feel free to drop me a note.
Donna Marie ❤